Wednesday 2 January 2013

Sharpsburg Church

Just a quick post to start the New Year!  Lots of inspiration on the internet!  Often when I start a project or an interest I will Google images and "save as" to fill a folder with images or plans of what I want to build. A trip to the local library is always of use as well.  For the ACW there are many collections of pictures and engravings to suggest projects. 
This is an engraving of a church in Sharpsburg:
And here is a 15mm model:

A pretty simple model, card and balsa, with a bit of plasticard for the tower to provide stiffness. Standard liquid plastic model cement will bond plastic sheet to wood and Contact Cement will bond just about anything to anything. (Careful though, too much Contact Cement will melt and distort the plastic sheet.)
The building is textured with a craft quality stone texture paint.  The roof is strips of masking tape.  The window frames (mullions) are white pencil crayon on black construction paper taped inside over the window openings. 
I believe the crumbling stucco in the engraving is just age, not battle damage. 

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous craftmanship! I am a co-founder of the American Civil War RR Historical Society. Most of us are model railroaders looking to create authentic scenes. Discovering your site with the Confederate pontoons was terrific as I am presenting a clinic on ACW vehicles next week. On my own layout I am depicting a pontoon crossing and have been looking over the various wagons via internet. I plan to show some of your work of which none of us have familiarity and will show members what is possible. Thanks for sharing your stellar modeling. Perhaps we can have a virtual meet in the near future. Very best, Thom Radice

    ReplyDelete